By, Dr. Kerris Dillon
I started a YouTube channel over 6 months ago that now has 1,350+ followers. I am extremely passionate about mental health and want to decrease its stigma. I believe that every mental health issue has blessings and gifts that society doesn’t always understand and doesn’t focus on. In my college classroom, we focus not only on the struggles of mental illness, but also on the positive aspects and blessings.
For those of you that are having trouble growing your blog, a YouTube channel is a way to increase traffic. I also have a Pinterest account, an Instagram account, and a Facebook account that help to drive traffic to my YouTube channel as well as my blog. So, how do you start a YouTube channel? It is pretty simple. I will list the steps here…
- Create a Google email. You don’t have to do this, but I promise you it makes things so much easier!
- With Google as your search engine, type http://www.youtube.com into the address bar.
- In the right hand corner, you will see a letter or your picture. Click on that letter or picture of yourself.
- This will pull down a menu and you will see Your Channel written out. Click on those words.
- You should see a screen pop up that will say, “Use YouTube as” with your name on it. The blue button at the bottom will say, “Create Channel”. Before you click that button, make sure the name on the top is the one you want to use. Once you have clicked that button, you officially have a YouTube channel!
- I use the latest version of PowerPoint to create a majority of my videos because it has a camera feature on it. So, I construct my PowerPoints first and then go to the slideshow feature to record sound and video.
- When I have finished and saved the material, I then click the “File” button and scroll down to “export”. Once I click on export, you will click “create video” on the left once and “create video” on the right once. This will put your video into a format that is compatible with YouTube. This will take 10-30 minutes to export the video.
- Once the video has been exported and saved under a term I will remember. I then go to YouTube and there is an icon that looks like a camera 3 icons to the left of the bell. I press the camera icon and click the button that asks me to find my video. Once you locate the video in your files, double click on it and it will begin uploading to YouTube. This will take awhile so be patient. While you are waiting, you can write a description of the video as well as type in keywords so that others can find your video. Please do not skip the “key words” step. Once it is uploaded, you can push the “publish” button and your video is officially live!!! Congratulations! You have your first YouTube video!
In order to become monetized, you have to have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 minutes of watch time on your videos. It took me 4 1/2 months to become monetized. The first month, I earned $20.00, the second month I earned $31.00, and I am hoping it will continue to grow each month and the more videos that I do. So far, I made 7 cents off this blog the first month that I started. I did this by paying $60.00 and placing ads into my blog. After researching how to make money with a blog, creators state the blog will continue to grow in time. I will let you know how that goes.
What I have found is that the more you work across social media platforms, the more you drive traffic to your blog and other sites and increase traffic, which equals increasing your revenue. I hope this helps and let me know what you think! Eventually, I will insert a YouTube video into this blog (as soon as I create it) concerning how to make a YouTube channel so that you can have a visual version of the directions above. Check back in a couple of days and it should be there.